Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Blog 1: My Top 5 News Sources!


    News sources have changed greatly over the years. Many people looked at newspapers and listened to radios for news back then. When televisions came out, people started relying on them for news. In modern days, however, many have turned to social media as a source of news. My top five go-to news sources are Tiktok, BFFs Podcast, Instagram, and Snapchat. 

    Tiktok has been on the rise for a few years. It is so easy for people to spend hours on their phone scrolling through short videos. Over 150 countries have TikTok and it has over 1 billion users. I personally learn a lot of news from TikTok because I am always using it and do not take the time to look at "real" news platforms like CNN or FOX. One thing that TikTok brought awareness to was what was going on in Ukraine when Russia began invading. Citizens in Ukraine posted videos of their homes destroyed and it reached the hearts of many people including myself. This video uses a popular TikTok sound that is usually lighthearted but this video shows the horrors of what is happening in Ukraine. It portrays images of abandoned and destroyed apartments and having little food available. I would not know about anything happening in Ukraine if I had not been on TikTok. It also gives a first-hand perspective on the problem. 

    Another source I use for news is the BFFs podcast on youtube. The podcast consists of Josh Richards, Dave Portnoy, and Bri Chickenfry. Dave is much older than the other two hosts but it adds a comedic factor when he does not understand technology or current influencers. They give news about TikTok drama, celebrities, and pop culture. Although they do not write about "real world" news, they do keep their audience up on what is happening currently in the influencer world. Whether it's a celebrity cheating on someone or an influencer making a dramatic post about someone, I can always trust that the BFFs podcast will provide the latest "tea." 


    Instagram is very popular among many people. In fact, there are over 1.28 billion users on Instagram. There are accounts on Instagram that provide daily news so that people can learn more about what is going on in the world while scrolling through their usual Instagram feed. For example, I follow BBC news on Instagram and can see what is going on in the world on an app that I use daily anyways. This Instagram post by BBC news shows that TikTok is going to start setting screen time limits for those under 18. It is useful to not have to have a separate app for news because I would never feel the need to check it. 



    Family plays a big influence in my life. I talk to my family often and they provide a lot of information about the news to me in our discussions. My Grammy is addicted to watching the news on her television so she enjoys filling me in on what she heard. My dad reads the news on online websites and many family members post news on their social media, which shares more news information with me.

    Snapchat stories are a big source of information in today's society. 363 million people around the world use Snapchat. It is so easy to click through stories while waiting for someone to respond to a snap or just out of pure boredom. For example, when I go to recommended stories, I find news stories on crime, sports, and politics. Just by a click of a button I get access to whatever news stories that I would want to learn more about. 

    Although my news sources aren't "traditional," they make news more entertaining to my generation, Gen Z. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog 12: Final Blog Post

      Technology has come a long way over the years. Depending on peoples' perspectives and technology use, it can be beneficial or harm...